Frequently Asked Question
Nexus 5x Factory Reset
Last Updated 4 years ago
Reset device in Recovery modeIf you can't open the Settings app because of device issues, you can use Recovery mode to factory data reset ("format") your device.
Tip: If your device becomes unresponsive at any point, you can restart it by holding down the Power button for several seconds.
After following all the Before you start steps above:
- If your device is on, turn it off.
- Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button until the phone turns on. You'll see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
- Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Recovery mode."
- Press the Power button to start recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark (you may also see "No command").
- Press & hold the Power button. While holding Power, press the Volume up button once. Then release the Power button.
- Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Wipe data/factory reset." Then press the Power button.
- Press the Volume down button until you highlight "Yes" (or "Yes - delete all user data"). Then press the Power button to select it.
- After the reset is complete, press the Power button to select "Reboot system now."
- When you're done, restore your data.